My name is Iwan and I'm from Holland, Utrecht to be more specific. By coincidence I walked in to an unfinished eco exo r project. The owner a colleague had no time and space to proceed the build and luckily handed over the project to me.
Herby the start and some simple facts on the build.
Took over the project from a colleague. Took apart the burgman Base plate is already placed on the frame and the frame is powder coated ( would have been easier to start with an blank sheet )
Start assembling the front stearing section, the bottom rod ends have been drilled with 5 mm holes. This seems quite fragile to me, also the rod end is hollow and therefore in my opinion not perfect to put tention on.
Made a small bracket to provide additional support. Fixed the rod end with a bolt to the bracket and than drilled the existing 5 mm holes upto 6 mm.
This should provide a bigger safety factor.
Because the frame was already coated at start this build will be basically bolted together.
You best solution might be to find a pair of later model rims, caliper and wheels. The geometry is such that you do not want to change that from the original. You could also ask Stuart what his thoughts on this might be.
Going your route with the conical spacer on top was the first idea,however when mounting I found that the rubber on the joint was "to much" pressed together.
At this moment I cut down the front part of the bracket and made one resting on the origional. This lifts the joint apr. 6mm and i have brought the hole slightly foreward. This provides sufficient clearance.