Warmed up the car in the garage fit about 20mins then about 5 miles to MOT station.
First bad news was that I have no speedo working, tried both programming the PPU values and also alternative automatic ‘drive to set’ option. In tha basis that there was no recorded pulses on auto option it seem the feed is not working. Anyone know how to check there is pulses or test gearbox speed sensor using a multimeter ?
2nd bad news was the car failed fast idle on C02 at about 0.4 - 0.5, result on normal idle was fine and lambda and HC were well within limits. Garage suggested maybe CAT just coked up as it hasn’t had any mileage for 3 years. We tried a longer test with engine really hot but still not making the grade. Pulled the CAT when I got back and it certainly looks well sooted up.
Could run Cataclean or similar but can’t do the mileage required for this to work so new CAT on order.
Good news is that brake test was passed without any issue or adjustment needed, very slight imbalance or rear but probably even out as they self adjust and bed in.
Headlights also adjusted, had to wind out top adjusters all of the way to get the beam height right, this is mainly because I jacked up the coil overs on the front to get 500mm min light level. Now suspension has settled I can probably drop the fronts a little and do final adjustment next visit.
Other good news is the car drives lovely even without full alignment done, Protech shock have nice compliant ride but still great body control.
Alan at EK Mot being a absolutely top bloke took no payment for work done this morning and just told me to bring it back in once I get the new CAT fitted and then square up. I plan to try and get it back in next Sat for rechecking.
Took the chance to fill the tank at the petrol station on the road back, got some looks from the attendant before he activated the pump and also from the police who were parked in the garage having breakfast. Police just drove off without stopping to ask any questions or where my number plates were (or if I was mad to be driving a car with no roof or windscreen in the snow)
Did you not think of angling the wheel arch plates back to expose the side vents? Looks like I'll be able to drop back on my build in April and this is one of the jobs I've been doing plans (sketches) for albeit I dont plan to open the vents up until after IVA
Similarly I've marked up the back end ready to cut it and shorten car by 4" but sense has started to kick in and say do it after IVA although if i do it before it will, automatically, raise rear light height so decision is still 50/50.
Cars in the Workshop Replicar - 1998 Mk2 1.8 donor Honda Civic Coupe SR Discovery TD5 Shogun 3.2D LWB
Been spending the extra time before IVA checkingand double checking everything. Quite surprised how high I had to raise the front coilovers to meet the 500mm headlight minimum.
The other main concern is the front braided brake lines. No matter where I adjust my brackets to suit full droop and lock, I am still quite close to the tyre edge on normal lock.
To make sure I have clearance on the day I have ordered 20mm wheel spacers. Was going to do this anyway after IVA.
As my alloys are multi fit (8-holes) I ordered some special 4x100 / 4x108 Stewart at Freaky Parts, this way the existing studs used to bolt on the spacer can sit then inside the 100 OCD holes so I don’t have to shorten them. I will then use the 108 PCD for the wheel to spacer.
Moving the tyre edge out the extra 20mm will ensure I have good clearance.
1999 60k MK2 1.8 5spd donor 2003 40k MK2.5 1.8 5spd (sold and missed badly) "Life is like a book and those that do not travel only read the front cover"
Front is 500mm to bottom edge of the light which is quite a bit.
It’s not so much getting enough height on the front, but when I raised my coilovers on the front with rear lights about 360mm, the headlight aim was pointing at the sky and correcting the aim so much means I couldn’t get the headlight covers back since the top adjuster screws were almost right out.
Just to make sure I have enough adjustment on test I actually trimmed 1/4 inch of the bottom fixed hole mounting point on the headlight bowl.