I got the gas tank done and have the mounts on ready to be welded to the frame.
Stock Tank = 3.43 Gallons New Tank = 4.73 Gallons
I am starting on fitting a radiator in front. I made a mockup of the room needed and will reshape the front end with the lost foam method so it will look a lot like the MEV tR1ke front end. The front will be extended more than the picture as that was just to see whan the minimum dimensions was needed with the radiator fitted and still be able to remove the top panel quickly when needed.
I will have a baffle so the radiator exhaust will flow under the trikes floorpan when done.
I also fitted the instrument panel and will be supported in three places that will be welded to the frame. I have some textured plastic sheet that I will fit for the bottom instrument cowl that should match well. The windshield will be custom made to fit tight to the front body panel around the instrument cowl. The bottom will be painted black inside following the top of the cowl. Hope that makes sense
This is taking longer than I anticipated but I would rather get it done right the first time around.
Any comments and hints are welcome to help me with this build.
I'm looking forward to your bonnet construction. The original concept was very nice too but I understand this would be not in favour when you have a rad in front. Keep in mind the rad cools pretty well without front wheel turbulence, depending the type of mesh you prefer. On tR1kes the original mesh has 52% see through area (105C) and stainless mesh 65% (60C) on slugshot's tR1ke. I wouldn't be suprised if a small opening would do the job.
He there Edward: It was great talking to you on Sunday. I wish I had more time to discuss your project and the direction you were going with it. The pictures are great now comes the artistic part, designing the nose and making it look like it belongs to the project. I can envision a sort of "Fish Mouth" design with the mesh screen behind that. Send lots of pictures. I am sure it will look great!!!
By the way, that is a wicked looking fuel tank!!! You gained over a gallon in capacity and didn't have to modify your air filter box. I am going to take a long look at what you did when it comes time for me to build mine. I am going to experiment a little but doubt if I will get into modifying the GRP pieces. I wouldn't mind having about 10 meters of that black edging for the fenders and other panels. That is about as far as I am going to remove myself from my personal comfort zone when it comes to a build. The radiator will be a sticking point for me and I may have to install an older vertical mount one and go with the original design. It has yet to be determined. Everything is academic right now until I receive my kit from Scott. Hopefully they are on schedule. I would like to get started this summer.
Send more pictures once you get 'into' the heavy redesign of the front end. I am very curious on what you have in mind, but then again if you are like most, it will change a few times before you are finished. I have to admit, I like your ideas....
I found a place nearby that repairs aluminum radiators so I brought mine there today. He will modify it so it will be 1" less in height.
Once I get it back and mounted I can start making the form for the bonnet.
It should work out well and with the radiator exhaust going under the trike and the baffle behind the radiator I should stay comfortable on the colder days.
As you know having built your beautiful TR1ke, figuring out what will work takes the longest time. After that it goes much quicker.
I was not sure I could make the front look OK , but with the mods to the radiator on how it is mounted I should be able to make a pleasing shape to match the contour of the chassis.
I wouldn't be suprised if the rad placed in front of the engine would be sufficient already. An additional airscoop might help if needed.
thx for liking my tr1ke :-D. Yes, it took 16 weeks for my kit to arrive and I needed all this time to find a good match in accesiories and noticed "buying cheap, buying twice" is definately not the way for me. To be honest, the expensive parts like steering wheel,lights, wheels, indicators, seats, paint don't cost a leg in regad of the total costs of a kitcar project but the kit really shines when completed which makes it worth paying attention to details.
Mockup of bonnet,radiator mount and rear baffle before making foam plug. Radiator exhaust exits under the trike. Foam plug will have all the corners rounded and have a nicer shape to it. This is for measurements only and to see if this idea will work.
Anyone see any problems before I make the foam plug?
Made some more progress today. I will start making the master mold from this rough one. There is not a lot one can do to fit within the size needed to house the radiator and baffle. This was as close as I could get and still keep as close to the original shape as possible. I also had to install a lower air dam to provide a low pressure zone for the radiator exhaust. Hopefully this will provide the proper cooling without having to redo it later. The floor pan will be attached to the bottom of the cross tube and rounded over to the top so the air exhaust airflow should have a smooth path to exit. If all goes well I can add a little slide door to the back of the radiator baffle behind the fan for heat if needed.
I started the final mold today. Man what a lot of work that is! I have the shape of the front just about done. I need to come up with the best looking grille opening but still contemplating that part before shaping the opening. I tried to incorporate the lines of the frame and still be able to have clearance for the radiator and baffle.
Anyone that has some thoughts on the grille opening are welcome to respond.