Ah Thanks Ned, I've heard of the backing off technique before so thats what I'll do. Think I'll try and get a couple castle nuts too. I've sent a mail off now also to see if I cannot get onto the technical section. There is no build instructions for a mevabusa yet so hopefully I'll get a lot of questions answered there.
Again a little bit progress today, the rear end wish bones and uprights were finished, all discs and callipers are on now too. All four callipers had to be spaced out with washers to get the disc running central in the calliper. Rear arch stays fitted also. Steering column bolted in at the end so we could see whats needed to get to fly, finishing the steering off is next on the list.
Moving ahead again today, stripped everything from the bike we need now. A snapped exhaust bolt cost us a lot of time rectifying today, managed to get started on a little engine prep work though, just waiting on parts for full service. I am a little apprehensive now to remove the sump after finding how easily some other bolts snapped today. I was wanting to fit a baffle plate, to try and eliminate any possibilities of oil serge.
Some good progress today even though a dentist appointment took up a large chunk of the day. Work has started on the tunnel run, foundations are 2x1 aluminium box section, these are bonded to the floor pan. This gives us a good base to secure all the clips and things too.
Have got the inlet and the outlet of the hayabusa radiator plumbed in now too. I am really quite pleased with how this has worked. Have decided to go with an alloy header tank, this will hopefully be plumbed in next to (above) the engine.
My sump baffle plate finally arrived today too. There are different arguments as to whether this is necessary or not but as I am hoping to track the car, I'd rather have it, against at the side of the track one day wishing I had done.
Some more good progress today, not a lot of photos, I want to wait until it's all in with the clips I want but am waiting on those being delivered. Continued working on the tunnel run, made some alloy stands to hold everything in the tunnel. Hand brake handle also have fabricated a mount for this. Brake lines are preliminarily in, again waiting on clips. Just about ready to fit the engine, getting excited now.
She continues, great mile stone passed today, engine is in! After some trial and error, it was found that the engine needs pulled up into the chassis from underneath, couldn't get it in from the top but these are the exciting discoveries and we got there in the end.
The engine in place looks tiny
Handbrake assembly in and with some bits and pieces arriving tomorrow we'll have fully functional brakes.
Not as much progress made today as I was hoping but at least we're still moving forward. The tunnel run is starting to look really tidy, shame it's hidden away really. Guess it'll start to look more cluttered once we start running cables along.
Everything being neatly P clipped into place.
Hand brake connection completed,
Exhaust going in, using the standard Hayabusa manifold for now, just wrapped. Will most likely sometime down the line change it out for a nice stainless one, probably next winter though.
Strange day today, been busy all day but haven't seemed to get much done when looking back. Found a mistake also, I thought that the bulkhead went onto the roll bar frame, seat side, turns out it goes engine side. Am glade I hadn't already fit it, found this out trying the fuel tanks in today. Bulkhead is now ready to go in at a later date now though.
We're bonding some rubber pads to the underneath of the tanks at the rear. This is to lean the tanks forward ever so slightly, I just wanted a little more clearance between the filler necks and caps and the roll bar.
Looking at the wiring loom today, we plugged it all back into the engine to establish what needs to run forward and where the extension needs put in. We've cut ours here, if I remember right thats between, the kick stand kill switch and the handle bar control plugs
Ran out of connectors, loom abandoned until tomorrow, off for a steak and some beer!
A good day today, firstly a Big Thank you to Mark Harnett, another forum member and Mev enthusiast, for sending me some brilliant clips in the post.
Some already installed
Finished the wiring loom extension today, continued work on the cooling system and installed the exhaust back box.
The bracket supplied with the back box look to locate right at the corners of the chassis, this will line them straight up with the brackets on the box section itself. We didn't like the idea of drilling the frame in this location though.
Instead we have installed a flat bar along the length of the back box, from mounting bracket to mounting bracket. This has enabled us to move the chassis mounts to the angle iron section.
A couple custom absorbers, as we've changed the hight d/t to added thickness of the flat bar and she's in.