I’ve previously revealed that I own a 2000 bone stock Miata. After driving it for a couple of years, I wanted to do some upgrades. Along the way I came across a 2000 SE that had already been upgraded with coil overs, shaved head, racing seat, low profile tires, custom wheels, hard top, and roll bar. With the 6 speed and LSD that comes with the SE, it basically had all the mods I was going to do to the Miata I already had. a picture of the donor is attached. Since now I have two driving Miatas, the one with all mods will evolve to an Exocet.
The Exocet Sport unit should arrive in a couple of months. Since I am retired, I’ll have plenty of time to get the SE torn down. I’m thinking of replacing the 6 speed trans with a 5, and the roll bar will be redundant. Persons interested in excess parts may send PM. Cheers.
Hello and welcome! My donor was a 2000 Icon (1.8, 6speed, LSD, art vin red), basically the same as your SE. I wanted a 6 speed for 2 reasons: 1) I heard they can handle more power & 2)all 6speeds came with a LSD (you can also fill the oil from the turret, which is handy). I drove it 130 miles today and can honestly say I’m loving the 6speed! If you decide to go with a 5speed, be aware that the LSD’s on the 6speed cars have a different gear ratio than those diffs found on a 5speed car, so mating the two could potentially have unintended consequences.
Thanks for the tip themorgster. Looks like I'll need to compare the diff ratios. Work on the project officially begins today, as I will "break" the axel nuts loose, just in case I decide to do full sub-frame tear downs when the time comes. There are higher priorities which will keep work to a minimum until tomorrow, when I'll start pulling off the low hanging fruit.
What a great laugh today. After pulling off low hanging fruit (front bumper, fenders, seats, steering wheel, instruments, doors) and so forth, I moved on to the interior, hoping to charge on with the dash. The instructions from EXO was pretty straight forward. Remove about 7 bolts, a few screws, and pull out the dash. Easily said, but not so easily done. Having read several build logs, I knew it wouldn't be that easy.
Nevertheless, there's a finite number of tasks. It'll will get done, eventually, and I've got all spring to build.
The harness is out, and most of the encumbrances in the engine bay are clear. After I pull the rad and drain the fuel, the disconnects underneath the car can be tended to. What remains then will be to pull off the body.