Spent most of today re-working the steering column, it still kinks slightly to one side but I am happy with it for now. I have also sealed the hole in the bulkhead that the column passes through using a part from the MX5. It doesn't seam like a lot for a days work but I also cleaned the garage and helped a passing motorist who had run out of fuel.
Looks like I might have a modification from a previous owner of the donor. Not an issue as I am sure somewhere in my parts bin I have another column, will dig it out and swap it over. Appreciate everyones input on this, it would of been a pain to fix this after the car was finished.
Not been so good at progress photos recently but will do better. A quick summary. The steering column has been swapped for a non welded version, the fuel system is complete, the cooling system is complete but without fluid, the clutch is done, the brakes are done but need bleeding, handbrake is done, I have filled the diff and half filled the gearbox with oil, still need to fill the engine, and I have started running the loom. The loom was going to be messy as I have had to cut out two after market systems that had been fitted to the car, an immobilizer and central locking. I want to start the car before I get too deep into stripping the loom but I have done some stripping already, my highlight of the day was powering the ignition. I go away in a week but if I put the time in I might be able to try starting the engine before I leave.
Good progress, just checking what's your dash plans it's a tight fit behind and today I redid my steering column butthedash won't fit so I'll try and fit my toplocating bracket underneath the upper rail.
Hi John. I was looking to fit the MX5 binnacle for IVA then redo the dash later with separate clocks, I haven't even tried the fit but a lot of builders have gone down this route so must fit. I also ended up putting the steering support bracket underneath in the end, this worked for me after I shortened the brackets on the bulkhead. For the induction I am going to try using the standard pipework but with a cone instead of the standard airbox, with a hole drilled so I can still use the airflow sensor. The tunnel is a mess, I have got some new ali plate and will make a lip on the tunnel to fix it to the metalwork, building this on the fly but will do pics when done.
On the plus side I have working brakes and coolant and it is back on the ground, for now. I pushed it out of the garage so I could have a cleanup, wiring is everywhere currently but working through it. I am away next week so you have any catch up time you need
Westie66 just the sort of pictures which give me a kick up the backside, looking good and really helpful photos.
John I bought a new (plastic) standard pipe from air box to inlet, old one still has some life in it if you want it (I bought the new one as MX5Parts had them on a special low low price a year or so ago). Snowbird1 retained the standard induction system and simply removed the top of the standard airbox(to get the clearance to body work), Im going down this route first with a K&N filter but recognise that there will be space under body fit a bespoke system in if required.
Cars in the Workshop Replicar - 1998 Mk2 1.8 donor Honda Civic Coupe SR Discovery TD5
My std mk2 airbox just won't clear for some reason, between the TB and the maf my airbox has an additional little bit added in I think its to reduce induction noise maybe I don't know but its likes an air reservoir but it fouls on the back on the fan and the rad pipe from the block.
I've a mk1 sitting outside no doing much but I've ordered some parts and if for under £50 I can make a shorter cold side feeding induction kit it's worth a short.