I think I have solved the riddle of fuel pissing out of my filler... The problem is caused by over-pressure in the tank pushing fuel up the breather pipe into the filler neck. Because the tank was pressurised, this also closed the one way flapper valve thing (technical term) at the bottom of the neck, so the filler neck was able to fill up with fuel under pressure and leak from the filler. My tank has a very simple pressure regulation set up (not all are so simple, some have solenoids and sensors etc). In the picture below, the round metal thing on the right is the fuel vapor valve and flows freely in both directions, if it is inverted (I.e. car upside down) it shuts off. The white plastic thing on the left (with the small filter attached) is the 2-way check valve. This too flows in both directions, but not freely, only when a certain pressure is reached (more in one direction than the other), mine was a bit stuck (Needed a very hard blow to get it open) so I cleaned it with carb cleaner. The vapor valve wasn’t stuck, but I cleaned it anyway. Hope this helps someone in the same situation.
Got a new cat from EEC (£60), fitted it and had the emissions retested today... at fast idle CO has gone from 0.68% at the IVA (0.30% max allowed) to 0.05%! Lambda has also come down from 1.019 to 1.001 (1 being perfect) and HC from 56 to 35. The mechanic said that as far as the emissions are concerned, the engine is running a perfect stage 0 tune.
I made a notch in the lens housing so I could rotate it. When I had the car in the garage for the pre-IVA laser alignment I also had them check the headlight alignment. I had actually overdone it and had to rotate slightly back again. The (Mot) guy at the garage said a flat beam is ok, but it is slightly concave with the dominators so a minor rotation is being on the safe side. I also changed the bulbs for some reasonably expensive Phillips ones, which improves definition. At the IVA I had to angle one down slightly, but that was a spanner job, not much more was said about the lights on the day. My retest is on Monday 9th March at 7am!!! Brrrrr...
It passed!!! Woo hooo!! I’ll send the registration paperwork off tomorrow.
Could you please share some pics of your engine bay guarding that was required? My IVA in Leighton Buzzard is 9th April so planned on copying you to save reinventing the wheel. Cheers!
I simply cut out some plastic mesh and used cable ties to attach to the frame from the inside on the bottom & one edge and also on the diagonal. Nothing to tie to on the top or radiator sides but it’s reasonably taught. I didn’t bother with the section behind the front wheel (where the brake booster is) as I couldn’t find any sharp edges with my hemisphere.
Working from home today (who isn’t!) so I thought I’d celebrate my iva pass by fitting my fly screens.
The advice I got from MEV when I picked the kit up was to 1) fit the screens post-IVA & 2) stick some black film to the inside of the screens at the bottom to make it look better (as can be seen on the MEV ‘showroom’ G-Type)
For anyone interested in how... 1) round all the edges with a file and sandpaper before removing the protective film. 2) offer the screen into position and use masking tape to mark the mating surface area.
3) cut 2 strips of self adhesive vinyl and stick to the back (under the tape)
4) slice with a razor where the two strips overlap on the bend of the screen, peel back and remove the overlap off cut.
5) trim the edges with a razor.
5) remove the masking tape, turn it over and it should look like this
6) mark out where you want the bolts (I used 2 M8’s with security heads from the donor) and drill some pilot holes.
7) offer the screen up to the bonnet and mark through the pilot holes to the grp and drill.
8) open up the pilot holes on the screen, apply some Pu adhesive to the grp and bolt on. I used a rubber washer on the screen side and a nylock nut & washer on the underside.