Post by The Management on Sept 21, 2014 16:12:44 GMT
The MEV Owners Group is here to help us share the enjoyment of MEV ownership, to help fellow builders and provide a platform for meetings, events and general camaraderie.
Please join us and have fun, and remember "extreme" is our middle name!
This forum is FREE and has been created and is owned by its members with the blessing, support and participation of the MEV product line creator Stuart Mills and associated manufacturers. It is hoped that this forum will provide support and encouragement as you embark on your personal journey through buying, building, owning and perhaps, eventually selling your MEV kit.
The forum's primary purpose is to bring together MEV enthusiasts as a community, to share thoughts, experiences and knowledge in order to make the process of building and owning a MEV as enjoyable as possible.
We ask that you to take the time to familiarise yourself with all aspects of the forum which is split into a number of areas that are relatively self explanatory. Two main areas that we would like to draw to your attention are the 'My Vehicle Section' and 'Technical Section'.
The 'My Vehicle Section' is where you can create a personal build and ownership thread, recording and showing others your story. Please do not be offended if a seemingly negative comment pops up on your build blog. It will be an attempt at helpful guidance from another member who wishes to aid you according to their experience. We aren't all diplomats but we are helpful.
In the 'Technical Section' you can find a wealth of information to help you through the build and ownership process. Hopefully, it will be a valuable aid to both novice and experienced builders. There are many examples on how to complete the various stages and activities involved.
Two things that we discourage are:
- superfluous posting on personal build threads, such as 'that's great like' or 'really like that' as it just detracts from the builder's thread. We have a 'like button facility' on the forum that is open to all and would encourage members to use this if they deem the post worthy or simply wish to show their appreciation.
- posting of questions or sending PMs (personal messages) to Moderators in order to get a quick response. Please take the time to check the forum first to see if the subject question has been asked and already answered; if not, and your specific issue cannot be found, then please post in the appropriate subject area so that when answered, it can be found easily by others. Moderators and Manufacturers do have the ability to 'sticky' threads and will endeavour to promote issues to the beginning of forum pages so that frequent issues can be found more easily.
This forum is moderated and there are the inevitable rules, however we encourage a high standard of self moderation and as a guide advise that such things as swear words and avoidance of the automated detection mechanism by incorrect spelling will be moderated.
We ask that you assist the Moderators by reporting any posts you feel may be adverts for other forums or non-MEV products. If, in the unlikely event that someone falls foul of the forum rules, the moderators will PM the originator, requesting appropriate action be taken. We also operate a 'waste basket' system where Moderators can move superfluous, or rule breaking posts & threads. We think this preferable to simple deletion, allowing the originator the opportunity to modify their contribution and re-post. From time to time the 'waste basket' will be emptied by the forum Administrators.
The posting of pictures and videos is encouraged, 'a picture is worth a thousand words'. You can 'link' to hosting sites such as Photobucket and Youtube. Some may be unfamiliar with this process but we will help - just ask, (or grab the nearest teenager).
To make your personal journey of building a MEV more enjoyable and rewarding, please...
- Use the forum as a 'guest' to view and read up on others' experiences of building.
- Once you have decided upon the marque of MEV that 'floats your boat' think about, and plan the all-important preparation that is necessary for a successful and enjoyable build - "Where will I build it? What tools and equipment will I need? How long is it going to take? What tasks may need specialist, outside help? And - the BIG one! - How much is it all going to cost?"
- Think about the registration of your vehicle from the outset, 'New', 'Age related' or 'Q' plate, as this will affect the way you build and where you source your components.
- Absorb as much information as possible before financially committing.
- Split your build as best you can, get the donor vehicle or parts first, refurbish all that you're going to need so that when your kit arrives the assembly process is cleaner and more fulfilling.
- Don't get disheartened or disillusioned by the apparent magnitude of any task; break the process down into small, manageable jobs, tackling each one as a project in its own right and you will soon see it all come together.
- Towards the end of your build you will experience the 'big push' where you may think that you have all but completed your build; there will remain many small, fiddly issues to enable you to comply with the authorities' requirements for roadworthiness. When you do pass the IVA test the car will be awarded its sought-after MAC certificate allowing you to start the process of registration and finally get your kit on the road! MEV kits are specifically designed from the outset to meet and comply with the IVA requirements, so this may not be as daunting a task as you may at first fear.
- Treat the IVA and registration process as just another job; there are firms that can offer an IVA service but we always encourage builders to complete the whole process themselves. The IVA inspectors are very professional and will guide you through any areas of concern they may have, ultimately ensuring you have completed a safe and legal car project.
- Enjoy the fruits of you labour, get 'Out and About' in your MEV and be proud of what you've achieved and remember, a MEV was meant to be driven, not hidden.
The MEV Owners Group has a presence at most of the major Kit Car shows throughout the UK and we encourage members to attend. We also run a MEV Owners yearly track-based event in July, referred to as the AMM (Annual MOGers Meeting) at Curbrough, near Litchfield, where owners and enthusiasts alike can meet in a relaxed, friendly atmosphere and participate in some motor sport activities.
While some members nearing the end of their build decide to embark on a new, non-MEV designed product may want to use this forum to show others their creations, this is, and always will be, a branded forum. While we are always interested in what our members are up to, we ask that they join that brand's forum and post their build threads there.
There is only a small number of MEV owners with bike engines on here so members that do not find what they are looking for should also consider checking out (link) which has nearly 9000 BEC threads. Feel free to relay back here any info. you find that is specific to MEV vehicles.
For the help and support that the forum community will have given you in realising your dream, we ask that you consider giving something back: it could be simply passing on your knowledge and experience advising the next generation of builders; write a 'How to...' article on a pet subject in the 'Technical Section'; consider putting yourself forward to become a forum moderator, helping in the effective running of this forum.
If you've got this far we hope you've found it to be informative and useful.
We genuinely look forward to your participation in the MEV Owners Group forum.