So a couple of hours done tonight and I drilled the dominators for the indicators as Im not using the gtype front wings. I was careful to measure that their threads didnt interfere with the headlamp bowl.
I then mounted them on motorbike fork brackets from Amazon which are easily moved for IVA position and post IVA position..
2. Post IVA
I then set about wiring connectors fro them, they are Tyco ones again on Amazon and they are very secure and look super professional
Very pleased, I think these kind of details make a big difference in the finishes article and potential value of the car. I have this weekend in the garage and so will be writing a plan of action for jobs, a lot of this type of electric work still to do though
A little bit of an update, not much of what I have been doing is photo worthy but a lot of wiring done.
Also I have fitted an Alternator for a mk1 1.8, reason being that the mk2 is controlled by the oem ecu. I will be having a stand alone ECU and advice from Skuzzle was a mk1 1.8. This is a job that would have been easy at skate stage so if you have plans like mine then DO IT AT SKATE STAGE lol
The reason its a pain is I had to flip the rad down and then remove the inlet manifold support bracket. Why didnt I do it before? Because I only recently learnt that I'd need to do it, so if you are going standalone ecu you are now in the know :-)
I have a brand new long cable for the battery and used the insulating cover off the old one to cover it and prevent any shorting etc.
So heres how I ftted the GType side panels....
I did the tops first using multiple clamps and I covered this in an earlier post.
I then revisited them tonight after letting the tops really set for a very good while. So I got under the car with Tiger Seal and ran a very good amount under all lower edges and end caps. I masked the ali floor and the lower edge of the side panels. Once this was done I used the straps I bought to collect the kit and braced them cross the car, not to tight but enough to make sure there was a good fit......
Ive also bought and fitted these brackets for my side repeaters which were a set of four lights that I have also fitted to the dominator headlamps as previously shown
I have received my fly screens that I am going to temporarily fit to take some 'finished car' looking shots to send to Stuart for the MEV website gallery. After that it comes back in for the dark months to get it IVA ready for March
On the note of dark nights I bought these for £35 from Homebase and they are a game changer in the garage and also do good work in raising the temperature
Enjoy your winter build months guys. See you on the other side ready for next season! :-)
Ive had a couple of PM's asking why the updates have slowed and tbh there are two reasons.
1- Time, just havent had a lot of spare time recently with work, life etc 2- The work I have done isnt really of interest or worthy of photo updates.
I have however successfully wired all front lights and side repeaters. I am using the donor stalk for dip and main beam and indicators and am using a seperate light switch from Europa Spares for the off/on/on as it suits my loom better.
I gently sanded off the light on off markings from the stalk and with a little Gorrilla glue at the back off the stalk I stopped this switch from turning. That should keep the IVA man happy.
I have full day this weekend and will be doing more lighting on the rears and hopefully a couple of other jobs.
Hammy, looks like you have two red led lights fitted to the tank cover. I thought you needed a fog and reversing light?
I am having two fogs (IVA Ok) for colour symmetry and I have a white LED bar for reverse mate That said I may still go rev and fog for IVA on the back cover and swap post IVA to 2 fog. No reverse is needed for MOT at present.
I got a good few hours at the car this weekend. I've ordered the mev dash cowl and as Im using a digital dash and different fog, headlight and hazard switches I started making my dash panel. using the old cowl and instruments for templates
Starting with cardboard...
And trimming it...
Transferred it to Ali when I was happy...
The right angle brackets are just some I had in the garage and I may get smaller neater ones for the bottom edge or may be a piece of angle ali. Am going to wait intil the new cowl arrives before I got any further. When complete the ali will be carbon 7D wrapped.
So that was Saturday morning for an hour or so. Sunday I concentrated on the rear of the car, rear wings and some tidying of wiring and fuel runs with IVA in mind. I'll just post the pics as I think they speak for themselves....
I also fitted number plate light bolts and my led reverse light top centre of the plate.
Using the same electrical connectors I used earlier in the build for the front lights, I wired one plug for the rear cover so that removal will be easy in the future.
So next will be actually get all the rear led lighting connected up. I just need to get info from CBS on wire colours for the fogs and rear stop tail indicator as they didnt come with anything. That said it may be in the CBS catalogue so I'll have a quick look there first.
BTW ignore the reg plate its from another car that I now have a private plate on.
A good day done today, all oils for engine, gearbox and diff all changed, engine and gearbox oil was minging, diff oil looked quite new....
Fitted new coolant hoses from Stoney Racing ...
Also fiited this radiator overflow tank, nicely matching the other anodised parts on the car
Less than three weeks now until the car goes to Skuzzle for ECU and engine loom and rolling road. I have a week off in acouple of weeks to make sure I have covered everything off. The car is basically finished then :-)