That's just great to hear Edward. Also because I actually do have an electrical 'problem' ... When I bought the Burgmann it was running just fine. And waiting for the kit I actually enjoyed making a few trips on it. Last trip ended in heavy rain and a blown fuse (during driving it just suddenly stopped running, no strange sounds before that or anything). I was only a few kilometers from home, but it was definitely a great work-out to push it back . After a few days I replaced the fuse and it started again. Probably a short circuit due to the rain. I haven't seen a problem in the loom yet, but once completely removed I will inspect it more closely.
However during dismantling I found two strange things in the electrical system.
1st this wire:
It wasn't connected to anything, it has two connections that look like they can be used to bolt it to the battery poles. The other side looks molten, but strangely this 'molten' tip has no red in it. It ran from close to the battery underneath the body panels to somewhere near the engine. Quite thick cable compared to all the other ones (strange!).
2nd a cut connection tot the alternator/regulator (lower mid in picture, with some blue)
The connection with the little blue part is connected to a bolt. In my Haynes manual there is no connection to this bolt. This bolt is most likely only meant to hold the regulator/rectifier to it's bracket. From the little blue thing there are two wires, one is cut and ends after a few millimeter and one runs to the white connector on the right on the picture (used for the headlights). It is connected to the black-wire-with-white-stripe. I guess that's the ground wire. On the picture you can also see that some black tape is winded around the later made connection (directly left from the white connector).
I guess somewhere between 1999 and now someone created his own electrical masterpiece ;D, but what can be an explanation for creating this connection?
(I am a mechanical engineer and have very little knowledge of electrics)
I don't think the red/black wire had anything to do with it, it wasn't connected at all. It's been used for something and was later disconnected but not removed from the vehicle. Also it started on the battery after replacing the fuse. Battery wasn't recharged and also lights were still working when the fuse was blown.
Today a package was delivered at work Very well packed, thumbs up for Scott!. The color of the panels is even nicer than expected. Also it's a bit smaller than I expected it to be, which I like!
I suspect someone had a battery charger/maintainer connected at some time or maybe a stereo of some sort. Melted wires usually isn't a good thing and often caused by lack of proper fuse protection for the wiring. Fuses are designed to prevent conductor thermoelectric meltdown and fire!
Funny that you ask today, because after a way to busy time at work, today I went to the RDW (Dutch VOSA) for a VIN number. Als brought it away for powdercoating. Today also my second front wheel, brake disc and brakecaliper arrived.
So no real building progress yet, but there will be soon :-)
Ah, you are going the Dutch leglisation route. You might have a read through Rik's tR1ke thread to see the costs and effort going RDW route. You need to provide math of forces in the chasis as well which is a big problem.
I am planning to bring my tR1ke at end of june to RTR for MVSA. Should be much easier and cheaper.
Good to know, they didn't tel me anything about the force calculations. (they also didn't tell me to bring the engine this morning, while I asked explicitly....and the invoices and ... etc.) I can always switch if I need to, will make sure to know these things in detail before having it tested.
Colors will be grey for the panel (lighter grey than one of the other builds) and black frame. I will add some bright red details with that. But I keep changing my mind on the colors...