Now there is a shock, I was just about to turn off and an email arrived from my mate Steve Petch. What an absolute star, he has just sent a few images of MEVSTER in different colours. Here is my favorite.
I will load some more in the morning. One of them has been done without the massive logo on the side. Got to say it looks better.
I had a couple of hours spare this morning so I started fitting the alloy to the transmission tunnel and front bulkhead. I have now made patterns so if you have ordered a MEVSTER do not worry. The alloy supplied in the kit will be will cut and fold where needed so it should be fairly easy to fit them. I did a short video too, the first take was better but the phone rang, second attempt had me struggling to get the front one in. damn I was trying to make it look easy!
panels have not been painted yet so I still have a window in which I could change my mind, considering this green but it looks different on different PC's, maybe a little bright, they will see me coming if I go this route.
I need a revised logo for the sides now, something slightly more discrete then the massive one.
Sorry no panels to show yet, he has not even started them! I did manage to find time to bleed the brakes and clutch. A WORD OF WARNING. I was screwing in the rear pipe to the brake bias valve (next to the servo) and I could not see too well so I "felt" it was all good. Then I tightened it, then I bled the brakes, then it leaked. I got it cross threaded! So I tried to clean the threads and refitted it, as soon as it got tight it went crossed threaded again. Can't say d**n on here can you.. I had a spare and stuck that on, very easy to bleed the brakes but not if you do what I did. More fun and games on Monday
I fitted the wheel spacers today, these are not the best as they are not indexed to the hub or wheel but I have not had any trouble with them and they are only £12 a pair. I got the longer stud extenders though for the alloy wheels. These are £1 each extra but add a comforting 6mm to the thread in your nuts!
The spacers are from Rally Design. They are the 32mm universal ones with 12mm x1.5 pitch threaded studs. Increasing the track width pays great dividends on these cars as the MX5 has what is known as zero scrub radius and therefore very little steering feedback. The extra width also improves the cars stance, makes it look lower and adds to cornering stability.
I bonded the rear lights in to place with PU adhesive.
Then I made sure they were the correct way around for the IVA test. This means putting the indicators in the middle position to make sure there is a 100mm gap between the fog and stop/tail units. The fog must be on the off side.
Drilled a hole in the side of the rear cover this morning, I could use the MX5 filler cap but these plastic locking ones are not expensive and look rather nice. I did use the MX5 pipe though to connect it to the tank.